RVs are a great way to enjoy the outdoors and explore new places with your family. But, for it to last, you must ensure that your RV cover is clean and well-maintained. Regularly cleaning your RV cover will help protect it from the elements and prevent future dirt buildup.
You can clean an RV cover by hosing it down and hand-washing it with soap and water. Hand washing is the best way to eliminate dirt and grime on your cover. Use a soft cloth to avoid scrubbing too hard, as this could damage the fabric.
This article will provide information on the supplies and tools needed for cleaning an RV cover, preparing the RV cover for cleaning, and different steps to follow when cleaning your RV cover. So if you want to keep your RV cover in top shape, read on!
How To Clean an RV Cover
To clean an RV cover, I suggest you use mild soap and water with a soft cloth. Never attempt to wash your RV cover with a pressure washer, as this could cause damage to the material. Also, never use harsh chemicals or any product containing bleach, as this can damage the cover’s color and finish.
Supplies and Tools Needed for Cleaning an RV Cover
When cleaning your RV cover, it is essential to have the right supplies and tools. Ensuring you have what you need will make the cleaning process more manageable. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Ladder: A ladder will make it easier to remove your RV cover, especially if you’re a shorty like I am.
- Mild soap: Look for a mild soap that is gentle on fabrics. We also recommend this cleaner for stains.
- White vinegar: White vinegar helps to remove mold.
- Soft cloth: Choose one that won’t scratch the material or cause damage.
- Hose: A garden hose will do the job just fine.
- Bucket: A bucket comes in handy for mixing soap and water.
- Soft broom: A soft broom will help remove dirt and debris from the cover without damaging the fabric.
Preparing the RV Cover for Cleaning
Before beginning, you will want to ensure that your RV cover is prepared for cleaning. If you have an RV cover with buckles, ensure that the clips are unbuckled and the straps loosened. This will help you to remove the cover safely.
Here are some other steps to take before cleaning your RV cover:
- Start by removing your RV cover by hand. Be sure to do this carefully to avoid any rips or tears in the fabric.
- Open and place the RV cover on a flat surface and ensure no sharp objects are underneath.
- Sweep off the RV cover with a soft broom. This will help remove any loose dirt and debris before cleaning.
- Check for any tears or damage on the cover and repair them before cleaning.
- Remove any mildew or mold on the surface by applying white vinegar to your cloth and wiping it away.
Steps To Follow When Cleaning an RV Cover
Once your cover is prepared, you can begin the actual cleaning process. Here are the steps to follow when cleaning your RV cover:
- Start by rinsing off the cover with a hose to eliminate any loose dirt.
- Fill a bucket with mild soap and warm water, and use a soft cloth to scrub the fabric.
- Rinse off the soap with a garden hose and allow it to air dry afterward.
- Once the cover is dry, reattach it to your RV and ensure that all buckles are secure.
Tips To Help Prevent Dirt Buildup on Your RV Cover
Regularly cleaning your RV cover is essential, but there are also other ways to help protect it from dirt and damage. Make sure to follow these tips to ensure your RV cover stays in top shape:
- Keep trees away from your RV. Doing so will prevent leaves and sap from getting on your cover. Maple and pine trees are especially bad for this.
- Use a high-quality RV cover made out of durable material. If you’re planning on storing your RV for long periods, consider buying a waterproof and breathable RV cover to maximize protection.
- Rinse off dirt and debris with a hose regularly. This will help to keep it clean and free of dirt.
- Place a tarp over your RV when you’re not using it. Tarps will provide extra protection against the elements.
If you have an older RV and want to know how you can restore it, then read my article, “13 Tips to Restore a Vintage Airstream”. It provides helpful information to make sure your RV looks good as new!
Why Regularly Cleaning Your RV Cover Is Important
Now that you know how to clean your RV cover properly, it’s essential to understand why it is so important.
- Regular cleaning of your RV cover helps to keep it in good condition and can extend its life.
- It will also protect your RV from dirt, water, sun damage, and other elements.
Finally, if you have no time to clean your RV cover yourself, some professionals can do the work for you. Certain dry cleaners offer specialized services that cater exclusively to cleaning RV covers.
Keeping your RV cover clean is essential for ensuring that it lasts and provides you with the protection you need. With proper care and maintenance, your RV cover will keep you comfortable and provide you with wonderful outdoor experiences for years to come! To ensure that your RV cover stays in top condition, clean it regularly and follow the tips mentioned above.
Be the first to be notified about FREE tips, hints, coupon codes, and email-exclusive information. All for FREE!